Images, CloudKit, and iCould 5 GB quota

avernet

03 Dec, 2017 06:10 AM

I understand Bear uses CloudKit to sync data between devices, say between my Mac and iPhone. I am worried that as I have more and more notes with attached images, I will at some point hit the iCloud 5 GB quota, and will need to pay Apple for more storage. Will that happen, assuming I end up attaching more than 5 GB of pictures? Or will I be able to exclude the Bear database from the iCloud backup, and Bear will continue to use CloudKit to sync data, which might at that point weigh 6 GB, without the need to pay Apple for additional iCloud storage?

Alex

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 04 Dec, 2017 09:35 AM

Hi Alex,

Bear can be excluded from iCloud backup in the iOS preferences. If you exceed your free quota you will indeed require purchasing additional cloud storage (1$/month for 50Gb). The iCloud backup and Bear Pro DB on CloudKit are redundant but CloudKit' DB update more often than the iCloud backup.

Cheers.

2. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 04 Dec, 2017 09:35 AM.

3. avernet re-opened this discussion on 04 Dec, 2017 05:23 PM

4. 2 Posted by avernet on 04 Dec, 2017 05:23 PM

Got it Danilo, so just to confirm, you're saying that if I don't care about the Bear database being backed up, I can exclude just the Bear database from the backup, CloudKit will still sync my whole Bear database and related files with other devices, and I won't have to pay anything to Apple for storage. Am I getting this correctly?

(PS: Kudos for the love you put into Bear. I Let me just tell you that it shows. Keep it up!)

Alex

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Dec, 2017 07:54 PM

Hi Alex,

..CloudKit will still sync my whole Bear database and related files with other devices, and I won't have to pay anything to Apple for storage. Am I getting this correctly?

Yes. Just to be more clear, what I suggested avoid a duplication of your database and attachment against your iCloud space.

6. 4 Posted by avernet on 07 Dec, 2017 11:09 PM

Excellent Danilo, and thank you for the confirmation. -Alex

7. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 08 Dec, 2017 08:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac